Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Veronica Scott's Hostage to the Stars is looking for some Love


Thanks for being such a gracious hostess and having me back again!

Liza: You are always welcome here!

I was hoping to talk about my next new release but it’s at the editor still, so we’ll save that for July.  I’m going to talk about Hostage to the Stars instead, which I always feel is one of my books that might be a bit in need of extra love, overlooked perhaps. Although I was extremely honored to receive an SFR Galaxy Award for the book this year! So I have it on sale for $.99 right now, until July.

Liza's happy response:
99 cents!!!
You've got to buy it!
I have never read a Veronica Scott book I didn't love!!! 
Okay, back to Veronica...

I did talk about the book a tiny bit here a year ago but not my reasons for writing it, and I’m giving a new excerpt for your blog readers.

Liza: Can't wait to read it!

As an author, I find I have certain secondary or supporting characters I have quite the affection for, and really want to find just the right story for them to step into the limelight on center stage. Johnny Danver from Mission to Mahjundar was a guy like that for me – one of my  ever capable, ever calm yet deadly Special Forces sergeants, right there to watch Mike the hero’s back (or his ‘six’ in the military parlance) and do his best to assist his friend and heroine to reach their Happy Ever After. But then what about Johnny himself??? I kept wondering what he would do after he was released from the service and made it back on his home planet, trying to fit into the daily life he left so many years before. I figured like so many highly trained veterans in our own time, he’d be restless, unable to settle down and plagued by flashbacks. But a guy can only do so much hunting and fishing before he either becomes a confirmed mountain man or finds something else to provide him with a new purpose and focus.
It felt to me as if Johnny wasn’t really quite done with the military, all his protests to the contrary. I thought what if Johnny was put in a situation where he had to return to active duty for reasons (no spoilers here), specifically to accompany a hostage rescue team, and then there were complications? So the team goes to a hostile planet, locates the woman they were sent to extract, and only then learns there’s another woman prisoner from the Sectors being held captive as well. The team leader refuses to go outside his orders to make an unsanctioned rescue attempt. Johnny – of course – sets off to find and rescue her by himself.
In my teaser ads for this book, I always ask the reader how up to date their interstellar kidnap and rescue insurance is. People either chuckle or else they nod, because K&R is a BIG business in certain parts of the Earth nowadays. So I saw no reason why such coverage would go out of demand in the far future. Space pirates will exist, right?!
True life stories of people who’ve been abducted in hostile places and either ransomed or rescued (or killed but we won’t go there) fascinate me. I think the popular perception is that Special Forces SEAL Team Six will be sent to pluck the victim out of danger, which does happen sometimes but not always.  I was amazed to learn foreign hostage situations can drag on for years before a rescue attempt is made, if ever. As an author, I was drawn to creating such a situation, but reaching its conclusion rapidly.
Here’s the story:
He rescued her from space pirates … but can he keep them both safe from the far greater evil stalking a deserted planet?
Space travel without Kidnap & Ransom insurance? Not a good idea. University instructor and researcher Sara Bridges can’t afford it, so when pirates board her cruise liner, she’s taken captive along with the mistress of a wealthy man and brought to a deserted planet. 


When a military extraction team sent to rescue the mistress refuses to take Sara too, she’s left to the mercies of a retired Special Forces soldier, along as a consultant.

Reluctantly reactivated and coerced into signing up for the rescue operation to the planet Farduccir where he once was deployed, Sgt. Johnny Danver just wants to get the job done. But when the team leader leaves one captured woman behind, he breaks away to rescue her himself.

As Johnny and Sara traverse the barren landscape, heading for an abandoned base where they hope to call Sectors Command for help, they find villages destroyed by battle and stripped of all inhabitants. A lone survivor tells a horrific tale of the Sectors’ alien enemy, the Mawreg, returning after being pushed out …
Searching for evidence to give the military, Johnny is captured. He regains consciousness in a Mawreg cage–with Sara next to him. Death is preferable to what the aliens will do to them… And even if they do escape their captors, can they alert the military in time to prevent another invasion of the Sectors?
The excerpt:
“What about Sara Bridges?” Ms. Immer whispered. “Aren’t you going to get her too?”
Captain Scortun leaned closer. “Who?”
“The other woman taken off the Star Swan with me.”      
 “We're here for you, ma’am. No intel on anyone else.” Scortun’s answer was crisp and disinterested.
“Do you know where she’s being held?” Johnny asked.
Tresha shook her head. “We were separated the first day, when we got here. Nice little thing, no insurance. I tried to tell the warlord a lie about her being my friend but he didn’t care.”
“Forget it, Danver, we’ve got our high value package and we’re out of here.” Scortun’s voice was low and stern. “Check the corridor. We need to move.”
Johnny gave him a considering look but took point and led the team from the palace and safely into the foothills. The two squad members who’d been on overwatch joined them. There was no sign of pursuit. Once they were about a mile from the warlord’s compound, Johnny signaled for one of the others to take point and he dropped back to where Ms. Immer trudged along in the column, wearing a pair of borrowed boots and a jacket. “Tell me more about this Sara.”
“I didn’t know her, just a passenger on the Star Swan, had no idea about K&R insurance or pirates. Naïve. I heard she put up a fight when the pirates grabbed her – she was bruised pretty bad the last time I saw her, before we were separated. I wouldn’t have thought she had it in her. The stewardess on the ship said she was a teacher or librarian.” Tresha paused, bending to rub her legs for a moment. “Umarri ordered me not to mention her to the negotiation team if I wanted to stay healthy so I kept my mouth shut.”
“And you have no idea what’s happened to her since the pirates took her away?”
“I told you, no. I was kept pretty busy fending off the warlord without pissing him off, if you know what I mean.” Head tilted, she gave him a flirtatious wink.
“Drop it, Danver,” said the other soldier. “We ain’t here for incidental victims. Captain told you more than once already.”
“Cut the chatter and pick up the pace.” Scortun made his way through the column. “We’re going to miss the extraction window if we don’t hustle and I’m not staying on this hellhole planet any longer than I have to. Danver, take the rearguard and quit distracting Ms. Immer.”
Johnny faded to the end of the column and kept watch on their back trail. Once the group ascended to the plateau seeking the designated landing zone, and he heard the muted sound of the incoming shuttle, he sought out the captain, crouched in the lee of a large boulder, close to Ms. Immer.
“Just fyi, I’m goin’ for the other woman,” Johnny said. “You have a nice flight home to base. Don’t forget to tell them I’m here. Good luck to you, Ms. Immer.”
“Who the hell do you think you are, sergeant?” The captain’s voice was tense and angry. “You don’t get to change mission parameters to suit yourself. I don’t care if you’re in the goddamn Special Forces or not, I gave you a direct order. We’re not going after any other civilians this trip.”
“No, you’re not, I see that.” Johnny couldn’t keep the contempt out of his voice. “In my branch of the service, we don’t leave people behind. In case it’s escaped your notice, I’m not under your command. Special Forces operates independently.”
Holding his pulse rifle where it could conveniently be considered a threat by Captain Scortun if he was feeling paranoid, Johnny backed away. None of the other soldiers wanted to challenge him.
“We’re not waiting for you,” Scortun yelled. “When our shuttle lands, we’re gone.”
“Good riddance,” he said under his breath, as he faded into the underbrush and slipped away down the steep hillside.

Buy Links:   
Apple iBooks     Amazon    Kobo     Barnes & Noble

Author Bio:
Best Selling Science Fiction & Paranormal Romance author and “SciFi Encounters” columnist for the USA Today Happily Ever After blog, Veronica Scott grew up in a house with a library as its heart. Dad loved science fiction, Mom loved ancient history and Veronica thought there needed to be more romance in everything. When she ran out of books to read, she started writing her own stories.
Seven time winner of the SFR Galaxy Award, as well as a National Excellence in Romance Fiction Award, Veronica is also the proud recipient of a NASA Exceptional Service Medal relating to her former day job, not her romances! She recently was honored to read the part of Star Trek Crew Member in the audiobook production of Harlan Ellison’s “City On the Edge of Forever.”



6 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me (and my book) as your guest today! Always fun to visit here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the best covers! Love this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's Fiona Jayde all the way. She's so wonderful....

      Delete
  3. I love Johnny. He's a steadfast warrior. I love how he goes back for her. A man with strong values.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you love Johnny! I'm so happy you see him the same way that I do - Thanks, Diane!

      Delete

All spammers will be shot with a plasma gun.