Top ten things that riles Alisha into action
10) Not retreating when there is no hope of winning. The first day as a captain, Alisha challenges the general because his stupid plan is going to get everyone killed.
9) Generals who berate her when she says she has specialized flying skills, assuming a woman can’t fly. Thankfully MAC and her colonel insisted she could fly into the wind, even though everyone believes that to be impossible.
8) Colonel Logan, who makes love to her one night then declares it a mistake that won’t happen again.
7)Stupid regs that are used to punish a Ryder after the fact when all they did was obey orders. Yes, Ollie tried to kill her, but he was only following the orders of a demented captain. So the fault was Colonel Logan’s for allowing a demented captain to lead his squad. (She is so pissed about this reg, she refuses to go on her next mission until MAC removes this reg forever!)
6) The way everyone assumes Alisha is sleeping around. She was a 21-year-old virgin until she and Logan got it on one time. But rumor has it she and Colonel Sparks are lovers and no one will believe her when she tells them that’s not true!
5) Alisha is really angry at her parents. First and foremost because they abandoned her gramps and when she found him living in a dangerous apartment in Capital, he was almost dead.
4) Alisha’s also angry at her parents because they planned to drug her so when she woke up she’d be the new wife of the President of the Americas. Sounds like a great marriage for a debutante, but the guy made her skin crawl every time he’d stop by to enjoy her mother, so Alisha climbed out a window and ran away instead.
3) When Alisha discovers signs on two showers declaring them the private use of the former captain and his lieutenant, leaving the rest of the squad to use the third stall that has no door, she loses it!
2) Alisha hates that she can’t visit her gramps. Colonel Logan has moved him to Broadtown and assures her that her grandfather is fine, but she won’t stop worrying until she can see for herself. So many people have lied to her: Her parents, Colonel Logan…
1) The person Alisha hates the most is the SkyRyder who killed her best friend, when she lived on the streets of Capital. He beat Betty to death because she refused to ‘service’ him if he wouldn’t pay. Needless to say, Alisha is not happy when she discovers he is her new captain. When he nearly kills her the first day she flies with the squad, finally Colonel Logan realizes he has a demented captain. But until MAC reassesses DC there is little Logan can do, and since the General likes DC, matters look very dangerous.
By Liza O’Connor
Meet Alisha: A young woman who refuses to live the life her parents want.
In a single month, Alisha Kane has gone from a wealthy debutante to street girl to scavenger. While testing her new flying skills in the Cully Canyon, Alisha incurs a near-death crash landing. She’s “rescued” by a colonel of the SkyRyders and her life changes forever.
Meet Logan: A SkyRyder colonel in charge of a sleepy fort with little to do other than arrest the occasional scavenger.
For the first time in his life, Logan’s attracted to a young woman, only she’s probably a scavenger and he’ll have to arrest her. But first he offers her a shower and food while he checks on his crew. His videographer has captured her extraordinary flight through the Cully and her flying is astounding!
He forgoes arresting her and puts his career at risk by asking MAC to assess her skills and integrity as a potential SkyRyder. If he can get Alisha into the SkyRyders, it will be his greatest contribution to the Corps.
Meet MAC: The Artificial Intelligence that runs the SkyRyders Corps.
Upon seeing her arrival, MAC upgrades Alisha’s test. Her flying skills are not just excellent; they exceed what was previously thought possible. MAC classifies her as its top asset and soon she proves her value.
But…the SkyRyders remain a male-dominated Corps where Alisha’s sense of right and wrong often clashes with her superiors. How long can a rebellious young woman survive in a regimented Corps?
“If the men can learn this drop, it’s a much better attack plan,” Sparkes said.
“That’s a big if, and if they can’t, then we’ve let half the drugs fly off pissing the morning away.”
Ensuring her voice remained respectful, she replied, “No, sir. You’ll lose no more than ten percent, and it’s just black market medicine. The dangerous drugs will still be there.”
“We could send a squad out to pick up the morning dealers after they buy,” Sparkes offered.
Her friend Denny would be buying in the morning, and if she didn’t do something, he’d probably die out there. She had clearly heard the general give clearance to kill anyone involved. He didn’t want arrests; he wanted eliminations.
“You go anywhere near one of the morning dealers and we’ve lost the advantage of surprise. The little dealers are used to test the lanes and make sure everything is okay. All it would take is one squeak, and these guys would be ready for World War Four.”
“So you’re saying we should just let these criminals fly out of there with their newly purchased drugs?” Powell asked in outrage. “You seem to have an odd idea about what the Corps stands for!”
Matching his outrage, she volleyed back. “I’m focused on getting ten thousand kilos of Phantasia off the market. And the Ryders we’ll save in a surprise attack. If letting a black market dealer selling arthritis medicine slip through is the price we have to pay to succeed, I think it’s a damn low cost.”
Everyone fell utterly silent. She might be the first captain ever to have yelled at a general. It would probably cost her big time, but to save Denny, she had to try.
The SkyRyder’s Series, Book 1
About the Author
Liza O’Connor lives in Denville, NJ with her dog Jess. They hike in fabulous woods every day, rain or shine, sleet or snow. Having an adventurous nature, she learned to fly small Cessnas in NJ, hang-glide in New Zealand, kayak in Pennsylvania, ski in New York, scuba dive with great white sharks in Australia, dig up dinosaur bones in Montana, sky dive in Indiana, and raft a class four river in Tasmania. She’s an avid gardener, amateur photographer, and dabbler in watercolors and graphic arts. Yet through her entire life, her first love has and always will be writing novels.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT
LIZA O'CONNOR’S MANY BOOKS
Investigate these sites: